We've had a lot of folks write in expressing interest in mushing, so we wanted to make a quick post about it here!
Once the temperatures are cold enough, the Jersey Sands club members will begin meeting out in the NJ Pine Barrens to run their teams. We're happy to have visitors come out, watch the dogs run, and learn about mushing.
If you have a dog and would like to learn how to mush, we can definitely get you started!
A few things to keep in mind:
- There will most likely be a lot of dogs around -- so if your dog is nervous, shy, or easily excitable, be prepared!
- Bring water for your pooch
- We don't recommend running young dogs too far, as they're still growing -- however, we can still help you with teaching commands
- You don't need to run out and purchase equipment -- JSSDRA mushers are friendly folks who will most likely let you test out an x-back harness or hook your dog up to their rig
- Be warned -- once you try it, you're going to be addicted!
Stay tuned here and be sure to follow us on Facebook. We'll keep you posted on when and where the mushers are meeting.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us!
See you on the trails!